Want to have a block party? The Alderman wants to help!
First of all, thank you for holding a block party for your neighborhood. Block parties are a great way to get to know your neighbors while also making your neighborhood safer. We encourage you to invite all of your neighbors to the party as well as discuss issues that are important to the neighborhood. A block party is a great time to discuss a neighborhood watch program or to coordinate more events in the future. A united community is a safe community and there is no better time to start than now!
For better or worse, there are a few rules and laws that we ask you adhere to as you enjoy your block party:
- Block party permits are issued from 10am-8pm. If you need other accommodations please speak with the Alderman’s staff.
- Block Party Permits will not be issued on any Federal Aid Urban Streets (i.e., arterial streets) or on a bus route.
- Block Party Permits will not be issued for more then one (1) day in succession or to close any street for a commercial purpose.
- A block party permit will only be issued for a single block (intersection to intersection).
- Access to any parking spaces controlled by meters or pay boxes must be maintained at all times.
- Block Party Permits may be denied by either the Alderman or by the Department of Transportation for the following reasons:
- Incomplete application (missing information)
- Traffic control issues
- Issues related to other permits issued in the vicinity of the event
- Public safety concerns
Now we just need to get you a permit! Things have been simplified for 2016 so please check out these resources and let us know if you have any questions! If you want to print the permit application at home, please feel free to do so. You can then fax it to us (773.745.4638) or e-mail it to us ([email protected]).
Your block party permit application can be found here.
There are some other things you may want to consider:
Request a bouncy house (hard to get, but they sure are fun!)
Chicago Fire Truck (kids love trucks!)
If this is your first block party we ask that you invite all of your neighbors and therefore we have a petition we ask you pass around:
Permits typically take somewhere between 3-5 days, so plan ahead!